The task of designing the building was given to German Architect Carl Weidemeyer, who then settled in Ascona.
Carl Weidemeyer graduated in architecture from Bremen’s Baugewerbeschule in 1901, after which he resumed his study of painting, previously abandoned to satisfy his father’s desire for him to work in the field of construction. He participated, as a painter and decorator, in the Worspswede cultural group, which was pursuing a modern, naturalistic approach. After a variety of experiences with painting and applied art, he devoted himself to architecture in the period between the two wars, with a strict rationalist approach influenced by Heinrich Tessenow.
In Ticino, Weidemeyer, together with Emil Fahrenkamp (who designed Ascona’s Hotel Monte Verità in 1928), were among the organisers of the first debate on the role and impact of modern architecture on an area and its built environment. His houses, featuring simple shapes with flat roofs, such as Casa Tutsch in Ascona-Ronco (1929, much altered today), Casa Mez in Ascona (1930, demolished in 1972), and Casa Oppenheimer (1936) in Moscia, sparked hostile reactions from the Ticinese population, especially as regards their use of flat roofs.